SCAM ALERT: Vehicle licence (rego) renewal phishing emails

UPDATE: We’ll be cheque-free from 23 May 2021. Please contact your bank for more information.

PAYMENT SYSTEM OUTAGE: We currently have a payments system outage and are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience.

EASTER WEEKEND – PLAN AHEAD: Heading away for the long weekend? Check our holiday journeys tool(external link)

COVID-19 SERVICES UPDATE: Information on Waka Kotahi services

Businesses involved in the sale, manufacturing, repair and maintenance of vehicles often need to move vehicles when they are unregistered. These businesses can apply to use trade plates. 

Who can use trade plates?

You can apply for trade plates if you're:

  • motor vehicle trader

  • a manufacturer, assembler, distributor or importer of motor vehicles

  • a car wrecker (if you have a second-hand trader licence)

  • a government department

  • delivering unregistered motor vehicles

  • a motor vehicle repairer

  • an owner or manager of a transport museum.

Find more about who might be eligible in the Land Transport (Trade Plates) Notice 2011(external link)

Not sure if you're eligible? Contact us to find out.

Using trade plates

You can only use trade plates for the purpose for which we supply them. If you use the plates for any other purpose, you can be fined.

Most  trade plates are used on unregistered vehicles. Only vehicle repairers, local authorities and vehicle inspection certifiers can use trade plates on vehicles that are registered but unlicensed.

More information about using trade plates on uncertified vehicles

Types of trade plates

Trade plates are available for:

  • standard vehicles (3500kg or less)
  • heavy vehicles (over 3500kg) - these will be available from 1 January 2016
  • standard trailers
  • heavy trailers
  • motorcycles and mopeds.

How to apply for trade plates

To apply for trade plates, complete an Application for trade plate form (MR5) [PDF, 91 KB] and send it in to our Palmerston North office with the following proof:


Documents we require 


Trader registration number 
(You can get this from the Ministry of Economic Development(external link))


Business card or business letterhead paper

Car wrecker

Copy of second-hand trader licence and business card

Government department

Business card or business letterhead paper

Delivering unregistered motor vehicles

Business card or business letterhead paper

Motor vehicle repairer

Business card/business letterhead paper and advertising

Proprietor of a transport museum

Business card/business letterhead paper and advertising

Once we receive this, we'll send out an application form for you to complete. Payment can be made at the time of application by sending a cheque or by credit card over the phone (contact us). These application forms are not available through any of our agents.

Trade plate fees

Application and renewal fees

When applying for or renewing a trade plate you will need to pay an administration fee as well as any applicable licence fees and ACC levies. The application fee of $32.30 is included in the table below. 

The fee you will pay depends on which month you apply in. 

All the prices below are inclusive of GST.

For use on Category December 2020/January 2021 February 2021 March 2021 April 2021 May 2021 June 2021
Cars/trucks 3500kg or less $141.40 $132.66 $124.76 $116.01 $107.54 $98.79
Standard trailers 3500kg or less $88.45 $84.21 $80.37 $76.12 $72.01 $67.75
Heavy trucks over 3500kg $373.13


$319.03 $290.60 $263.08 $234.65
Heavy trailers over 3500kg $320.18 $296.26 $274.64 $250.71 $227.55 $203.62
Mopeds less than 61cc


$195.05 $181.92 $167.39 $153.31 $138.78
Motorcycles 61cc and over $552.11 $508.49 $469.08 $425.46 $383.23 $339.60

Replacement fee

The fee for a replacement trade plate is $38.43.

Heavy vehicle trade plates

From 1 January 2016, if you operate unregistered heavy motor vehicles (over 3500kg) you’ll be required to display a heavy vehicle trade plate on those vehicles when driving on the road.

The heavy vehicle trade plate fee includes an additional charge that goes towards road use that was previously collected through RUC. To keep things simple and costs down, you can use the new heavy vehicle trade plate on standard vehicles as well. However, you will still have to have separate trade plates for motorcycles and mopeds.

If you’re driving unregistered heavy vehicles on the road, you will need to apply for a heavy vehicle trade plate.

If you already hold a standard trade plate, you won’t have to provide supporting documentation with your application. You can apply using the Application for additional trade plate form (MR5A) [PDF, 108 KB].

If you don't already have a standard trade plate, you can apply using the Application for trade plate form (MR5) [PDF, 91 KB].

Displaying trade plates

Trade plates have a reflective yellow background and black lettering. They start or end with the letter 'X' and are valid until 31 December of the year shown on the plate.

You must display the plates on the rear of your vehicle. The plates must be upright so that every letter and figure is easily visible.